Expectations of Teachers
All teachers who participate in the Splash Elementary program agree to the following statements:
- I will respond promptly to all communications from Splash staff and complete all assignments by the stated deadline.
- I will teach the Splash curriculum to my students to ensure that they are adequately prepared for the Splash field trip. Specifically, I will:
- Devote a minimum of 10 hours of class time to the Splash curriculum and complete Lessons One through Eight prior to a February or March field trip;
- Devote a minimum of 14 hours of class time to the Splash curriculum and complete Lessons One through Ten prior to an April field trip;
- Ensure that my students understand and can communicate their knowledge of basic watershed concepts and vernal pool ecology;
- Ensure that students can communicate their knowledge of the critter assigned to them in Lesson 6 and the flower assigned to them in Lesson 10.
- On the day of the Splash field trip, I will ensure that my students are organized and supervised. Specifically, I will:
- Arrive at the Splash Education Center between 9:15 and 9:30 a.m. on the day of the field trip;
- Ensure that students are divided into the three color groups designated in Lesson 6 of the Teacher’s Manual, per the instructions in Appendix C;
- Ensure that students arrive with color-coded nametags;
- Bring a minimum of 3 adult chaperones on the field trip;
- Bring a check/cash in the amount of the invoice sent to me prior to my field trip;
- Manage student behavior problems that arise during the field trip.
- I will evaluate the Splash program using the assessment tools found in Appendix D of the Teacher’s Manual. I will submit these assessments to the Elementary Program Coordinator within two weeks of my field trip. Specifically, I will:
- Have my students complete the “Splash Knowledge Assessment” and provide Splash with the class average score;
- Complete the “Teacher Evaluation” of the Splash program.
Please note: Teachers who bring an inadequately prepared class on a Splash field trip may not be invited to participate the following year.