Apply for a Field Guide/Naturalist position at Splash
We are hiring!
Under the direction of the Elementary Program Coordinator, the Field Guide will lead elementary students (age 9-11) through the vernal pool grasslands and the Splash Education Center at Mather Field. Splash uses StrengthsFinder 2.0 to identify people’s talents and strengths and to build a well-rounded team. Find out more about Splash at sacsplash.org/about-us.
Organization: Sacramento Splash
Position Title: Field Guide/Naturalist
Position Type: Temporary
Start Date: January 26, 2017
End Date: April 27, 2017
# of Positions Available: 3
Location: Mather, CA
Time Commitment: 15 – 25 hours/week
Schedule: Mon – Fri, 8 AM – 1 PM
- Work in team of 6 Field Guides to prepare materials and activity stations for class field trip.
- Lead three-hour field trip for a group of 10-12 elementary students.
- Help students interpret discoveries in the vernal pool grassland.
- Lead indoor activities at the Splash Center (microscope station, stormwater quality model, and live animal exhibits).
- Facilitate learning and sharing among students who come prepared with basic vernal pool knowledge and deeper knowledge of one particular vernal pool animal and/or plant.
- Maintain positive learning environment & calmly manage behavioral issues.
- New Field Guides will spend first 1-2 weeks developing knowledge of vernal pool ecosystem and species and observing experienced field guides leading groups.
- Background in biology and/or natural history
- Enjoys teaching and spending time with children
- Able to commit to working entire 2017 Field Trip Season (February 3 – April 27)
- Team player with a demonstrated history of working well with others
- Engaging and friendly
- Sense of humor
- Love of nature
- Ability to walk up to two miles on uneven, unpaved ground
- Satisfactory completion of a background check
- Previous experience as a naturalist
- Previous experience working with children age 9-11
- Knowledge of vernal pool ecosystem
Please submit your resume by Sunday, January 15, 2016. In the body of your email, briefly explain why this position appeals to you and highlight what you would bring to Splash in your role as a Field Guide.